6.01.2011

Summer Reading

I wanted to take a class that focused on reading "Great Literary Works" since I have not read many. Unfortunately, according to Rate My Professor.com (which might as well be "rape my professor;" the comments are so cruel and include the option to rate their "hotness") the teacher for said class made many students cry. I cry when the wind blows northward and someone looks sideways, so I figured best not to enroll.

The point is, I decided to take on some "Great Works" independently, and summer time seemed ideal since I am not busy reading for school.

I intended to start with Anna Karenina by Tolstoy, but JBWS suggested I wait and start with The Brothers Karamazov, by Dostoyevsky. In the mean time I began with a petite book by Tolstoy that focuses on his religion; a return to Christianity with a Buddhist emphasis. I find it to be excellent so far, and suggest it for all that were raised in Christianity yet find themselves intrigued with the Eastern religious approach. (Book Wiki)


Another book that I recently consumed (it's only about 100 pages :) ) was a translation of the Prajnaparamita Sutra, by the peace worker and monk Thich Nhat Hanh.  Known as The Heart of Understanding, this book clarifies some concepts in both Eastern Religion/Buddhism and freaking life in general. I can't rant and rave enough about the wisdom TNH seems to possess, but it comes through via his ability to translate ideas to lay people in an outstandingly compassionate manner.  


What "great works" would you suggest to the un-well-read and curious? And what "Great Works" have you regretted not reading or would like to read?







No comments:

Post a Comment