5.31.2011

Makin' Magic / A.k.a. Poor girl creativity

JBWS and ASJ already saw this, but I'm sharing it all the same. I read midi and maxi skirts are back in style, which makes me really happy. I don't do mini's well, and find the ability to do things like sit, bend over, etc. without hesitation a god-send. To make this work without going to Old Navy and splurging on a ton of overpriced cotton I picked up some long skirts at the thrift store (easy to come by) and got one of my mom's older long dresses. I don't have a sewing machine so I had to improvise. The only thing I had to do was use a belt for these items to make them work in a variety of ways. The skirt is perfect; it is navy with red/orange polkadots and lightweight without being remotely transparent or too slinky on the panty-line. It has cinching and elastic around the waist but also a button/zip closure. It was slightly large on me but that came in handy. The first way I worked it was without a shirt, pulled up above the chest, making a strapless dress. I belted it at both the empire and mid-waist with ease, and voila, midi-sundress. The second method was just bunching it up around my waist with a tucked in fitted top and belting it so that the excess fabric peeked out of the top. voila, maxi skirt!  The third item was a salmon dress from my mom; it has a great linen like material and is incredibly comfortable. I tried both a thin, neutral loose belt and a fitted black belt. Both did well and added shape to the dress. I forced pleats under the breast and in the back and secured them with the belt, to keep it from looking too boxy. My next endeavor is to get a bunch of a-line long-ish skirts and so the same, pulling them up higher and belting. 







                                                                                                              

2 comments:

  1. Coming soon: (and I know all 2 of you reading this are PUMPED) my indoor poor girl house projects. WoopWoop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find these outfits totally inspiring (though I think the pics need to include your head!). I'm so excited by the maxi skirt trend-- especially because summer in Austin is sooo hot but my psoriasis is flaring. I just ordered this skirt this morning (http://www.spottedmoth.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=32&products_id=573).

    ReplyDelete